January 15, 2009

A Gorey Mystery

Another favorite illustrator of mine is Edward Gorey (sometimes they laugh at me in the studio because it seems that all illustrators are my “favorites”). My first exposure to his beautiful drawings was actually not through a book, but through the opening titles for “Mystery!” on PBS. This animation is a classic exemplification of his illustrative style and subject:





Needless to say, I was very excited when I discovered a 1982 Edward Gorey pop-up book on our studio’s shelves! Take a look!




-Shelby

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the first popup book I bought with a view to collecting them...all the way back in 8th grade! It's resided on my shelves in pride of place ever since...with over 400 popups to keep it company, it's still one of my favourites!