September 6, 2008

Long Time, No See

Dear Pop-Up Blog Lovers,

I have been lax these past weeks posting and for that I am sorry. I have been consumed with working on the artwork for my next title, Nursery Rhymes, slated for release in Fall 2009. Surprisingly, I am on schedule! I thought you might want a couple sneak peeks at the pencil-sketched prototype I've created - but I can only show a pop-up that didn't make the final cut so I don't ruin too much of the surprise!

This pop-up for the the classic rhyme "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" actually didn't make the final cut of the book. The water spout gets really, really tall on the right hand side while the spider opens a tiny flower umbrella. In the end, we decided the design needed to be more centrally placed on the page - so I designed a new one (not shown here) that is quite different, a bit more playful and ultimately better for the book.

You can see the Itsy Bitsy Spider and her flower umbrella up-close in the above picture. Maybe I'll get to use this design for another book...

- Matthew

No comments: