April 23, 2010

I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK

As I was trawling through the interwebs this week I came across a very cute virtual pop-up book. I’m always excited when my different interests align so it was a delightful bonus to find that the virtual pop-up book was created as a promotional for one of my favorite Korean directors, Chan-Wook Park. I’m a Cyborg, but that’s OK was released in 2006 and has yet to have make it’s way to the U.S. or Netflix, but I have my fingers crossed. You can learn more about the film at IMDB and Wikipedia.



The virtual pop-up book is quirky creation from the Korean design firm D.O.E.S. which stands for “dreams of electric sheep” and references Phillip K. Dick’s seminal work that spawned one of my favorite movies, Bladerunner. Based on the preview of their 2010 reel it seems they are no strangers to the virtual pop-up book and have created another version of the pop-up book for LG. You can also check out their fun cut paper animation for the LG Cyon Lollipop and don’t forget to see the “making film” section for a behind the scenes look at all the hard work they put in.

Getting back to the charming virtual pop-up book, the viewer can explore three chapters and interact with the characters on each of the spreads in fun ways. While they cheated on the physics of the constructions, it works well with the surreal nature of the project. The pop-up book closes with an appendix that promises three make-your-own masks based on the movie, but I was disheartened to find that the links were no longer available. Guess I will have to make my own bunny mask. Now all that is left is for me track down a copy of the movie this weekend because the pop-up promo sure sold me.

~Kyle

3 comments:

Chip Ahoy said...

Off topic.

To Matthew Reinhart, hello. Bo, writing from Denver here.

Apologies, I do not see a contact for you here or on Amazon but I cannot contain myself and I must say that you really outdid yourself with your interpretation of Star Wars. I got my copy today from Amazon, late by a few years, I know, just now finished opening all the little pages within pages and I am totally utterly completely blown away.

I must say that I've been studying your work, yours and Robert's, and to the best of my ability copying your ideas into personalized birthday cards and other greetings to friends. They're clumsy efforts and I haven't a clue what I'm doing, nonetheless the cards and booklets are treasured by the people that receive them, so I've learned generally through third-party feedback. Which is encouraging. I look at what you've done here and marvel. You've shown me what to aim for and what's possible.

My light sabers didn't illuminate. I thought, "Eh, it's an old book, probably been sitting around, maybe I can replace the battery then repair the page. I carefully tore the page away from the backing sufficient to access the electronics. Only then did I noticed on the back the battery was protected with a slip of plastic easily removed. The sabers lit right up! I'm as delighted as a child. I'm seriously goofy about your masterpiece here.

Bye now. I must hasten to glue back the page I pried away.

Anitha said...

Wow, That's Amazing!

By the way, I love your website! You don't know how many shcool projects they were handy for!!!Thanks.

Craig Mackay said...

Your work is amazing and inspiring. I'm such a huge fan. Thanks for doing what you do!