August 6, 2010

Anton and Atlas



Last month I was lucky enough to swing through BookExpoAmerica at the Javits Center in New York City. I always love to attend this book fair each year to get a sense of what new pop-up books will be released and what the dozens of publishers and printers have to show off. Sadly, my tour of the floor was cut short after a great chat with paper engineer Gene Vosough. I had to hustle off to meet with Ellen Rubin, thepopuplady, Matthew Reinhart, and Bulgarian paper engineer, Anton Radevsky. I was very excited to meet with Anton as I have marveled at his paper engineering feats as he tackled subjects like Space Craft, Architecture or the Wild West.

Anton Radevsky was visiting Manhattan for the first time and was eager to meet some fellow paper engineers and talk shop while he showed us his latest tour de force pop-up book Voyage to the Heart of Matter. His book is a collaboration with CERN in Switzerland to share the story of the Atlas experiment and the Large Hadron Collider.


Voyage to the Heart of Matter is an ambitious pop-up book about an ambitious scientific project to discover the beginning of the universe. This complex experiment is broken down into bite size sections to help kids (and adults) understand what it takes to make protons travel near the speed of light. The book has just been released in the UK but the 2nd edition is set to be in U.S. bookstores in the next two months, so I have to keep waiting for my own copy.

~Kyle

No comments: